Welcome to Arthur's Pass, New Zealand|
Our small alpine village is nestled amongst the Southern Alps in New Zealand's South Island (Maps).
You will find a wealth of information about this region on this site.
For pre-arrival advice Click Here.
North Webcam (HD)
North - Timelapse
ALL Webcams - Click Here
Advice in an earthquake
No fires without a permit!
Click Here for full satellite images
Updated: 22:01 26/4/17|
SH 73 Otira To Kumara Junction, West Coast
Reason: Bridge Repairs
Start: 20 Mar 2017 22:00
End: 01 May 2017 06:00
Comment: The Wainihinihi River Bridge Is To Undergo Urgent Repairs.
Click Here for more highway detail.
|Thursday 27th April 2017|
Night: Overcast. Low near 6ºC. Winds NW at 10 to 87 km/h.
6 / 13ºC
8 / 12ºC
3 / 11ºC
4 / 9ºC
-2 / 6ºC
0 / 8ºC
3 / 8ºC
1 / 8ºC
-1 / 6ºC
-1 / 7ºC
|Click for more information|
Click Here to view full weather station details.
LATEST DAILY READINGS|
Update: 27/4/17 1:23hrs NZST
Temperature (Low): 7.6ºC
Temperature (High): 8.2ºC
Wind Chill: 7.6ºC
Barometer: 1014.23mb (Rising)
Wind Speed: 3km/h
Wind Direction: WNW
Wind Gust: 45km/h (0:18hrs)
Cloud Base: 730m ASL
Freezing Level: 2199m
Daily Rainfall: 0mm
24 Hour Rain: 0mm
- Punchbowl Falls Track: The section from the 2nd foot-bridge (5 mins from car-park) is closed for an indefinite period while repairs are made to a flood damaged structure.
- Arthur's Pass Walking Track: The section from the Punchbowl Falls track to Jack's Hut will be closed from 3rd April 2017 for an indefinite period while repairs are made to a flood damaged bridge.
- Klondyke Corner Mouse Plague: there are considerable numbers of mice about the Klondyke Corner campsite! Do not leave food on/near the ground, and be very aware that mice have been climbing aboard vehicles. This is in response to a massive seeding of the beech and grasslands in the area. Nothing can be done about this as Kea (our rare alpine parrot) is actively hunting mice, and toxins can therefore not be used.
- Harper Pass Route landslides - There are several large land-slips in the vicinity of Harper Bivouac (Harper Pass). If the river is low they can be traversed with relative safety, however if the river is high there is some risk of falling into the torrent! Absolute care and good decision making is essential!
- Casey Hut has burnt down - Casey Hut in the Poulter River catchment burnt down in late 2015. The next closest hut is Trust-Poulter, 5km upstream on the true-right. Good camping sites, water (Casey Stream) and a toilet remains at the old Casey Hut site.
- Highway 73 is undergoing reconstruction on the eastern approaches to Arthur's Pass Village. Expect delays and detours from time to time. This work is not expected to be complete until early-2018.
- The following bivouacs no longer exist! - Hallelujah Bivouac (Andrews Stream), Thompson Bivouac (Thompson Stream), Top Cox Bivouac (Cox River), Waterfall Bivouac (Row Stream)
This site is provided & maintained by Graeme Kates.
(best viewed at 1024 x 768 screen resolution - Why?)