Welcome to Arthur's Pass, New Zealand|
Our small alpine village is nestled amongst the Southern Alps in New Zealand's South Island (Maps).
You will find a wealth of information about this region on this site.
For pre-arrival advice Click Here.
North Webcam (HD)
North - Timelapse
ALL Webcams - Click Here
Advice in an earthquake
Avalanche Risk (MSC)
|Issued: 8/10/2015 4:20pm. Valid to 11/10/2015 6pm|
|Click Here for detailed information.|
Dangerous conditions, conservative decision making essential!
(1000m - 2000m)
Heightened avalanche conditions on specific terrain features.
Not enough snow on ground to create avalanche conditions
|Saturday 10th October 2015|
Day: Overcast. High 11ºC. Winds NW at 21 to 47 km/h.
Night: Cloudy skies early with areas of fog developing after midnight. Low near 4ºC. Winds NW at 21 to 47 km/h.
Click Here for full satellite images
|SEVERE WEATHER POSSIBLE|
IN NEXT 5 DAYS!
4 / 11ºC
4 / 13ºC
7 / 12ºC
2 / 11ºC
3 / 12ºC
4 / 13ºC
7 / 13ºC
5 / 13ºC
3 / 12ºC
3 / 13ºC
|Click for more information|
No issues reported
Click Here for more highway detail.
Click Here to view full weather station details.
LATEST DAILY READINGS|
Update: 10/10/15 1:25hrs NZST
Temperature (Low): 5.4ºC
Temperature (High): 5.9ºC
Wind Chill: 1.0ºC
Barometer: 1018.13mb (Falling)
Wind Speed: 16km/h
Wind Direction: W
Wind Gust: 47km/h (0:07hrs)
Cloud Base: 1080m ASL
Freezing Level: 1861m
Daily Rainfall: 0mm
24 Hour Rain: 0mm
- Casey Hut in the Poulter Valley has burnt down! Next available hut in the valley is the Trust-Poulter Hut about 5km upstream of the Casey Hut site; it only has 6 bunks! Carry a tent otherwise.
- Poulter Valley: There have been new washouts and slips in the lower valley. Extra caution required and be alert for low hanging branches, particularly for mountain bikers.
- Winter conditions are now with us! Snow is now affecting many tracks and routes. Check with the Visitor Centre for current conditions in all alpine areas. Ice axe, crampons and avalanche skills may be required if traveling outside of tree-line. If you are travelling HWY 73 in Winter/early Spring carry tyre chains.
- The Mingha Car Park and the old access track across the railway line to the Mingha and Edwards Valley has been closed off. A new temporary car park is being developed at the shingle pit area near the Bealey Rail Bridge. The new car park is off the main highway by the rail bridge. From the car park there will be a marked walking track across the railway line immediately adjacent to the rail bridge on to the causeway and then up the causeway to connect with the old track. Please be aware there is construction crews working in the same area as the new car park.
- HIGHWAY 73 IS UNDERGOING MAJOR ROADWORKS east of the Village for 6km for a 2 year period starting in May 2015. Large heavy vehicles and some delays may be encountered. Visit Highway Conditions to view updates.